Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mom's Granola


Fresh homemade granola is one of the best things ever! It was a staple growing up and it is in our house too.

Mom's Granola

6 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup wheat germ*
1 cup nuts, broken into pieces
1 cup coconut
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt

1 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
1 Tbsp. vanilla

1 cup dried fruit (I use craisins or raisins)

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix liquid ingredients and pour over dry. (I usually measure out all the liquid ingredients in a 2 cup measuring cup and pop it in the microwave for a minute. That makes it easier to mix together and stir into the dry ingredients.) Stir until well coated.

Put in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; stir and add dried fruit. Bake another 20-25 minutes or until evenly browned. Cool and store in an airtight container.

*Omit, if wheat allergy!

Print this recipe! .:see instructions in left sidebar:.

6 comments:

Stuff Parents Need said...

Hello! I just found this post from another blogger (now I can't remember who!) who used this recipe for once a month cooking. I'm going to try it out! Congratulations on your upcoming baby! I'm also a new mom, so check out my site where I talk about products and services that are making my life a little bit easier (I have some great giveaways going, too!). Thanks for the recipe!

Jo said...

Thanks for this recipe- it looks great and I can't wait to give it a try!

Unknown said...

Hopping over from your sister's Menu Plan! :) I like this recipe - thank you for sharing it!

Amanda said...

Trying this tomorrow! Been looking for a healthy, easy granola recipe. Looking forward to trying this one. Thanks, Kelly =)

Laura Kelly-Pifer said...

This looks awesome! Your sis just gave me the link. Thanks for sharing!!

Cherie said...

I had this for breakfast at Myra's and told her I MUST have the recipe! She sent me over to you! Can't wait to make it!