Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Crockpot Applesauce


This is one of my favorite recipes to make in the fall! It is so yummy! I like to make a big batch, so I've modified the original recipe. Just store the leftovers in the refrigerator. I usually by a peck of yellow delicious apples at a local grocery store and make two batches of applesauce. It freezes really well, so you can enjoy yummy applesauce all winter!

Crockpot Applesauce (modified from A Year of Slow Cooking)

12 apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
3 T. lemon juice
3/4 cup water
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon (more or less depending on how cinnamony you want it)
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 T. brown sugar

Put apples in a large (6 quart) crockpot. Add lemon juice, water, and vanilla; stir well. Add remaining ingredients and stir again.

Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, stirring every once in a while. When apples are very tender mash with a potato masher or fork.

We like our applesauce chunky, so I mashed up the apples with a fork after 6 hours.

Print this recipe! .:see instructions in left sidebar:.

This post is linked to Smockity Frocks "What's In Your Crockpot?"

1 comment:

SnoWhite said...

I like how this recipe uses very little sugar and adds vanilla -- yum! I'll have to try it, especially because you can make it in the crockpot.